Whether you’re replacing an old water heater or updating yours after moving into a new home, it’s reassuring to know more about the installation process.
If you’re new to the world of water heating, let us break things down for you. Although install times can vary, the process for replacing a hot water heater remains the same.
What do I do first?
You can do a few things to prepare for the installation of your new water heater. Here are our tips:
- Find a licensed technician or company: By consulting with professionals, you can determine your needs and budget. It will also ensure your tank is installed safely without errors.
- Book an appointment: Choose a time that’s convenient for you and give your service provider enough notice if you need to reschedule.
- Remove any obstacles: Move any boxes or items blocking the heater to make it easier for technicians to do their jobs.
Know what you’re looking for before installing a new water heater. Getting advice from an expert allows you to prepare yourself and your home beforehand.
A professional will help you choose the water heater that’s right for you. They take important factors like the amount of water a household uses and your energy source (gas or electricity) into account when making recommendations.
How long does it take?
On average, it takes two to three hours to replace a hot water heater — this includes each step of the installation process. There are three common types of replacements:
- Tank to tank installation: Whether you have a gas or electric water tank, the process is similar. It takes between 45 and 60 minutes to drain your old water heater’s tank, disconnect it and remove it. Then your technician will position your new tank in around 30 minutes and will take another 45 to 60 minutes to connect it and ensure it meets safety standards.
- Tank to tankless installation: If you’re switching from having a tank to a tankless model, expect more waiting. Your technician will need to add new power lines, water lines and air vents to your heater. Following this, your tank will be mounted and connected.
- Tankless to tankless installation: Expect to wait between one and three hours if you already have a tankless water heater.
Although there isn’t a one size fits all answer to this question, there are average amounts of times for different installations.
What can make it take longer?
Complications can extend the process’s duration, but your technician will let you know if there are any. Have patience while your heater is being installed because your technician may be dealing with the following:
- Your old heater is heavily damaged and hard to remove
- Connecting water, power, and gas sources if you’re switching to a tankless model
Greetings, I’m Dallas. I’m a small business owner living in Winnipeg, MB, Canada and operate Lynn’s HVAC Winnipeg: Heating Cooling Sewer & Drain.
Lynn’s HVAC Winnipeg plumbing, heating, cooling is a small family owned and operated business since 1980. We pride ourselves on quality work completed by licensed technicians. We believe our outstanding customer service sets us apart from other Winnipeg residential plumbing, heating and cooling companies. Experience the difference and be a part of the Lynn’s family! “We provide comfort at your door!”
Services we provide:
– HVAC repair
– AC repair & install
– Furnace repair & install
– Hot water tanks
– water heaters
– clogged drains & sewage
Areas we serve:
Ile Des Chênes
Ste. Francois Xavier